Wednesday, April 1, 2009

EDC - Every Day Carry

I first heard this term back when I played with guns a lot, but I haven't done that in a very long time. However, I have recently been hearing the term used again, in a slightly different (but still the same) context. As in, what do you carry with you every day? If you want, you can learn more about EDC at http://www.edcforums.com/.

For me, the list is pretty simple, if you are talking about things that I actually have in pockets, etc.


  • Cell phone (my T-Mobile G1) - This has been my funnest and most practical cell phone ever. I've had Windows Mobile for a long time, and it was helpful, but the G1 is at least an order of magnitude better, and I find myself actually using it to be more productive more often. I just wish that someone could solve the battery life issue.
  • Leatherman Wave - Mine is the original edition, before the socket adapter. I have been looking at them, especially in the light of EDC, and thinking that one of the new models would be nice, with the sockets and other extensions. As a sidenote, I think that I was EDCing a knife before I even had a wallet. I remember carrying an Opinel in elementary school (before that kind of thing would get you kicked out, that is....)
  • Wallet - includes what little cash I have plus ID, credit cards, and a handful of store cards, which are being replaced by an app on my G1. Oh, and my cardkeys for work.
  • Work cell phone - basic Samsung model that was purchased by work that I rarely use.
  • Keychain - Jeep remote, Jeep key, Sandisk Cruzer Micro 8GB, and a old Swiss Army knife (Classic SD model, but I see that they have some that might be a little more appropriate for me to carry, with jump drives built in.)
  • Watch - I've been wearing one more and more recently, since my wife had my two favorite watches repaired. And, I got a new one from Disneyland. So, I am kinda cycling through them.
  • Flashlight - My preferred light right now is my SureFire E1L Outdoorsman with a KL1 head. Runs off of a CR123 battery with a 10 year shelf-life, it puts out a significant amount of light, and it's as solid as anyone has a right to expect. Battery run-time isn't the greatest (about 3.5 hours), but it's nice and compact, and always works. Since I find myself getting asked to work on this or that fairly consistently, it works well for me.
  • Toshiba Gigabeat S60 - tunes. Of course, recently, I have noticed that I don't usually carry headphones.....

That is pretty much all that I carry "on my person". But, if you add in my computer bag, or the vehicle that I am almost always very near to, that increases the load significantly. Include a couple more knives, a couple more multi-tools, several flashlights, some old-fashioned (read NOT multi-tool) tools, CD's, camera (Canon SD850 IS), basic first-aid supplies, etc.


So, what do you carry everyday? If you were to think about what you were carrying, what would you add (or eliminate)?